25 May 2015

Adult books for readers of YA

A while I go the blogs were filled with 'YA books for adults' or similar posts and I've been searching for posts with adult books for readers of YA and I simply haven't been able to find one so I'll just make one myself.

I'm not saying that I'm the best at this, but I've read a bunch of YA books and I've also read a bunch of adult books so I have some recommendations at least!

I recently read The Circle by Dave Eggers and it's a dystopia that, somehow, reminds me of Brave New World and I enjoyed that classic. I know teens, like me, don't really read classics, but Brave New World doesn't really feel like a classic and The Circle is basically a new interpretation of Brave New World and where our world is going. The Circle is really interesting and I think it's a great read for readers of YA. Bare in mind that The Circle is more science fiction-y than other dystopians.

When it comes to fantasy I definitely recommend The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson - it's high fantasy and utterly phenomenal! I have no idea how to describe it, but it's a mixture of the best of fantasy sprinkled with something extra. Even though I've yet to read the rest of the series I know that it's going to be just as, if not more, awesome than the first book.

If you like romance in books then you might want to check out these books;


These are definitely some of my favorite books. If you love Rainbow Rowell you should definitely check out her adult novels, I don't know which one I love the most but these are so good! 
Love Me or Leave Me by Claudia Carroll is quite funny; it's about a divorce hotel. You check in married and check out single. It's cute, it's funny and it was one of the first chick-lits I read. 
Accidentally Married and Reluctantly Married by Victorine E. Lieske is probably some of the funniest books I've ever read. Both of them have made me laugh out loud and my cheeks hurt so bad from smiling after reading the books. 

I often find that I don't really like YA contemporary but I really enjoy women's fiction or adult contemporary/romance.
Some contemporary adult books I've really enjoyed are How to be Good by Nick Hornby, Paper Swans by Jessica Thompson, The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes and The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion


Some other adult books I've really enjoyed are;


I read The Host by Stephanie Meyer because of a friend and I ended up loving it. It's fantasy but I feel like it fits somewhere in between YA and adult, but it's not exactly NA. It is quite good though. 
It's been a few years since I read Shutter Island but I remember loving it and being utterly mind blown after finishing it. It's so interesting and even though it deals with mental ilness it's far from boring! 
The Help is probably one of the more adult books I've read, it's set in the South and it deals with segregation and racial issues but I absolutely love it. It's a page-turner and the voices of the different characters are so clear - I definitely recommend listening to this as an audiobook! 
I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath 3 times last year because I chose to use it for an assignment and I loved it more for each time I read it. It's so relatable because the main character is in her late teens and we've definitely all been through some of the stuff Esther's been through. There's actually this 'new' YA book called Belzhar which is somehow an interpretation of The Bell Jar and at the same time the book, The Bell Jar, is a major part of the story. 
I just finished The Cuckoo's Calling and I feel like the mystery and crime genre is a great way to start reading adult books - mainly because adult mystery or crime books tend to be better than YA crime or mystery books, I think so at least. Some other mystery books I recommend are all of Dan Browns books - but mainly Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, he writes some great books!

Which genres do you prefer in YA and adult? Is there any other adult books you recommend for readers of YA?

No comments:

Post a Comment