17 February 2015

Reading slumps!

I was in a bit of a reading slump back in July, but I, thankfully, got out of it after a week or two. I know I hate being in reading slumps since reading is what makes me relax after a tough day and I really miss reading when I'm in a slump - I just can't get myself to read it.

Firstly, what is a reading slump? A reading slump is a period of time where you don't read or rather can't really get yourself to pick up a book and start reading. It can last weeks and it can last months. If you don't have time to read - e.g. due to school - that's not a reading slump.

Reading slumps can be caused by a bunch of things. Maybe the book you're currently reading is the cause, you can't really find out what to read (too many choices) or maybe you've read a bad book or had a bad streak with books and have, in a way, given up.

Secondly, how do you get out of them? I've got a couple of ideas of how to get out of these unfortunate slumps, so here's my ideas:

1. If you're trying to read a book, and have been for a while, stop. Put it down and find the book on your ereader, at your local library or on your shelves that you want to read the most and read it. Sometimes the excitement of reading can push you out of a slump.

2. If it's due to a bad streak in books try reading a book you've previously loved. For me, I would probably read Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time. Please keep in mind NOT to read a book that has made you sad *cough* The Fault in Our Stars *cough*.

3. Let it take it's time. Don't pressure yourself to read, because if you pressure yourself you can end up in a worse state than before.

4. Get excited about reading! Watch some booktube videos, read reviews, make lists about books, talk about books etc. You don't have to read to get excited about reading.

5. Find the time to read; Do all your homework, clean your room, light some candles and make a cup of tea. If you're relaxed and don't have anything you actually have to do, you might find yourself wanting to pick up a book.


Do you have any ideas on how to get out of a reading slump? 

No comments:

Post a Comment