22 March 2014

Streaks of Blue by Jack Chaucer

Streaks of Blue: How the Angels of Newtown Inspired One Girl to Save Her School
Series: Nikki #1
Publication date: September 27, 2013
Publisher: CreateSpace 
Genres: YA Contemporary
Format: eARC
Source: netgalley
Pages: 259



Adam Upton and Thomas "Lee" Harvey are plotting the next big school massacre at their New Hampshire high school. Nicole Janicek, who knew Adam in elementary school, tries to reconnect with the damaged teen at the start of their senior year. But will Nicole’s attempt to befriend the would-be killer disrupt the plot and turn Adam’s life around before the clock strikes 12:14?
At first I wasn't too sure about this one, but somehow I clicked the "request" button and a couple of hours later I was accepted - so I obviously felt I had to read it. And I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I liked the message the story sends, that we have to befriend everyone, even the ones who are different, no matter what that difference is. I feel like this is a book a lot of US children could benefit from.

I loved Nikki's character, this honour student who has blue stripes in her hair, loves to hike and is overall not afraid of anything. For once we have a female main character who aren't our "normal" mc, she is different - a great kind of different. She is a rolemodel and her courage is inspirational. 

In a way I liked Candace and in another way I didn't. She had a similar personality to Nikki, but she was also entirely different. She didn't want to befriend Adam - she actually tried to persuade Nikki out of it. But Candace was still a great friend for Nikki, she stood up for her and I admire her for that. 

I liked the overall story, the fact that Nikki has this "hero" or "savior" role and she has to save Adam from the path he's going towards. I thought the first few chapters was pretty weird, since she has this dream that tells her she has to save Adam, but I thought it was a great way to get the story going. I liked that the pace of their new friendship was that of a normal one and not quickly-evolving because she has to save him. She actually starts getting to know who Adam is, and he starts realising that not all people are bad. 

I think this story sends a very powerful and important message, I admire the author for writing a story that will be so emotional for some people and can mean nothing to others. I adore the author for creating a heroine that is different and good without it being too much. 
Even though I think all those things and feel all those feelings I still had to give this book 3 hearts because I felt that something was missing and I only connected to a single character.



Do you like reading inspirational books?

No comments:

Post a Comment