26 February 2014

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Series: N/A, Standalone
Publication date: January 2, 2013
Publisher: Poppy 
Genres: YA Contemporary
Format: egalley
Source: Netgalley
Pages: 236


Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?



Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.



A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?




Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 

I got an invitation to this book through netgalley, and since I was one of the first 500 people, I got a copy of the book. For a while after I was annoyed because I had a couple of books from netgalley already and I didn't need more.. But then I started reading it on a whim - I didn't have a book with me, and since I have this on my phone, I figured why not.... - and I loved it, I couldn't put it down and I almost read it in one sitting. I devoured this book within hours and I can honestly say, that this is one of the best and sweetest contemporaries I've ever read. 

It starts out with our main character Hadley being 4 minutes late for her flight, which means she will be late for her dad's wedding.. When I started reading this book, I had no idea what is was about, I have never read the summary although I have heard a bunch of things about it, I have never heard people saying anything about the setting, the story or anything - other than it was really sweet. Sidetrack... What I wanted to say was, that the beginning wasn't all that 

I love Hadley and Oliver together! They are both so quirky, and Hadley's fear of mayo is so irrational that I couldn't help myself and I kept laughing whenever I thought about it.
I love the scene on the plane where the old lady thinks they are a couple, it was so sweet and cute and it made me smile and just put me in a good mood!

I seriously love that Jennifer included the problem between Hadley and her dad, it gave the story a more serious tone to it, and it was a nice change from the story between Hadley and Oliver – not that I didn’t love everything that happened between those 2, I just think that the story is so much better because it had more depth to it. It is a tough day for both Oliver and Hadley – which is another thing I love. I think Jennifer somehow made this so realistic to me, I can totally relate to Hadley having a hard time with her dad, I too have had a hard time with my dad and went without speaking for a year. I can also relate to her not wanting to accept his new girlfriend, now soon-to-be-wife, since I resented my mom for dating guys not even weeks after she divorced my father. I think a lot of people can relate to this book, and I think that makes the book even more loveable!

There is a bunch of random moments throughout the book that is just the cutest. The way they won't say goodbye, the moment on the plane, when they wait at the toilets, when he sits down next to her and a ton more! This book is just a sweet and cozy read!

I don't want to continue praising this book and try to persuade you into reading it, but seriously think about it! I have read a bunch of contemporaries, but this just have that something else, like TFiOS has cancer, this has relatable family problems with a scavenger hunt twist!

In case you haven't already guessed it, I gave this book 5 hearts. In the beginning I couldn't decide whether it should be 4 or 5, but I settled with 5 since this book is one of the best contemporaries ever. Quirky, sweet and relatable characters that you just want to hug is something I really enjoy in books! 



Have you read this book? If so, what did you think? If not, are you planning to?

No comments:

Post a Comment