1 March 2014

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Publication date: 2007
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Genres: YA Fantasy, Paranormal
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed from my aunt
Pages: 442


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?



This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 




Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

I have picked this up before.. That time I read 2 pages I think and put it down - it just sounded like the biggest clichée of a book. Then I heard a bunch of great things about the series and I started to think about it once in a while, so maybe I should read it? And then I discovered that my aunt owned the first 4 books in The Mortal Instruments series, and I figured why not.. But oh well, here is what I think:

I have never really read a book packed with such "paranormalty", there is warlocks, Shadowhunters, Nephilim, Witches, Demons, Vampires, Werewolves, Fairies and so forth - it is packed with everything paranormal. 
The fact that this is a fantasy book was actually the thing that won me over, I really like fantasy but I don't think urban fantasy (which is the sub category this book fits into) is my thing. It wasn't a book I couldn't put down but somehow I still felt a bit drawn towards the story. It was packed with action and it was interesting to read a book with that many paranormal elements. 

After the initial couple of pages I started to enjoy the book a bit, it starts off quickly and you don't have to sit around and wait for something to happen. Clary notices that something is off and she takes action - I admire her for that. 

I didn't really like Simon, he was too "obsessed" with Clary to think about anything else and he was just not my favorite at all... Although, in the end he starts realizing something and he changes. He is more leaned back and I like that Simon much more than the Simon from the beginning. 

When it comes to Isabella, Alec and Jace I am kind of in-between.. I like them and I don't like them. Isabella is irratating, then sweet, the irritating, then sweet and so on. Alec I liked a bit at times but I still don't like him like I like Clary. 

With all that said, I didn't really like the book, I could put it down whenever I wanted to. I read this book during the Wicked Valentine read-a-thon, and I have to say, if I had started it on a regular week instead of in a read-a-thon, I wouldn't have finished it. I don't know whether I will continue with the series, because I heard that it gets better - but let me know if I should continue..
With that said, I gave this book a single berry...



Have you read The Mortal Instruments? If yes, what do you think? If no, are you planning to?

Challenges: Full House: Won or borrowed
Resolutions: Review all the books I read / Venture out of my comfort zone 

No comments:

Post a Comment