4 January 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl
Series: N/A, Standalone
Publication date: September 10, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Genres: YA Contemporary
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought from the Book Depository

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.



Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.



Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.



For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
 



A New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of 2013

This book is one of the best books I have ever read. I picked it up it the day I got it, and suddenly I had read 100 pages – and they went by way to fast. I just could not stop reading this book.

I loved Cath, she was so relatable and I felt like she could be my sister. I loved her quirkiness and her love towards Simon Snow – which evidently is their version of Harry Potter. I loved that she always wanted to stay in her room and write, instead of socialize – because I am like that to. Too many people overwhelm me.

Wren, her twin sister, I did not like. I felt like she ignored Cath, and then when she could use her for something, and then she could talk to her and be nice.

I really liked Nick in the beginning, and then he did that thing. How could he do it? I was actually rooting for him instead of Levi for the first part of the book.

Levi, aah Levi, I believe I read somewhere that Rowell pictured Tom Felton (aka. Draco Malfoy) as Levi – and that was how I pictured him.. That made everything so much better! Levi is quirky, sweet and nice. He “hands out smiles like it doesn’t cost him anything”. Most of all, I loved Cath’s description of him.

My favourite part was the “emergency dance party”. We saw another and more outgoing and fun side of Cath – also when Levi joined, the angels sang. 
Another great part was when they were talking about reading;


Somehow I do not have a least favourite part – apart from that thing Levi did, that I do not want to talk about! But you know what I mean if you’ve read the book. Let’s just say that it almost made me cry.


This book was intriguing, fun, relatable, quirky, cozy, comfy, wonderful and all in all perfect. 



Have you read Fangirl, or are you planning to?

No comments:

Post a Comment